Monday, March 16, 2009

Key West

For Spring break we were lucky enough to go to Key West, FL with some of the greatest friends, Tawni and Micah Platt. Luke's sister Ali is living there on an internship so we were able to hang out with her and have her show us all over the island.
Our first night and the town was on fire! Yeah, everyone's smiling, but it was pretty sad when 3 stores on the historic street burned. Ali pointed out all the best places to go, especially where to test out all the variations of Key Lime Pie and the best beaches.

Mangrove Mamas on Cudjoe Key---we were actually staying on Cudjoe, a couple keys down, or up, from Key West.


Stubbs of course loved the ocean. I'll always think of this little corner of Key West as Sandy Dog Beach. The Platts were so patient to travel with our pup---even when he's chill he still takes up a lot of the back seat.




Frozen key lime pie dipped in chocolate! Nothing else needs to be said.




One Key Lime is never enough.





Our front yard. It was a beautiful week of sun and doing absolutely nothing but what we felt like. Going to the beach, eating dessert, exploring just about every street of Key West, and spending time with friends and family.


Afterwards Luke and I drove around Miami. We checked out law schools, neighborhoods, got a taste of the traffic, and ate at some amazing Argentine restaurants. After sampling the chorizo Luke gave them his approval. One even doubled as a grocery store and we loaded up on alfajores---delicious cookies. I decided that I could be completely happy living in Miami---the mix of cultures, the warm weather, being able to go camping in the keys whenever I wanted...the whole drive back I just kept thinking of all the reasons I like Miami--or Southern Florida in general. Luckily we stopped and visited my parents otherwise I think I would have been grumpy leaving the warm lushness for cold VA.



Luke's mom and sister met up with us in Miami--we really only saw them for one night, but it was a good time.



Oh, and we're six months pregnant. A surprise, not planned. We've been keeping it quiet for a while, but now I really can't hide it anymore---so there's our announcment!

11 comments:

The Elkington Family said...

Some where warm and sunny, me jealous. you're right. Miami look like a lot of fun and a desirable place to live! You look fabulous, not that you don't already know that! Congrats on the baby!

Ryan and Megan said...

Your trip looks fabulous. I am kind of mad at your guys for not buying Ryan and I tickets to come with. What's up with that?

Six months already??!!! Holy Cow! I wish I looked that good now, forget being six months pregnant. I'm impressed. It still doesn't feel real to me that your pregnant. The pictures didn't really help. Maybe when you actually have the baby I'll believe it. When can I come see you.

Flem said...

So you definitely are showing now!! Great pics and you look adorable!

alli taggart said...

oh yay!
i was looking at the pictures in the beginning of this post thinking "is that just how her shirt is? or..."
and then my suspicions FINALLY were confirmed at the very end!

Ali said...

Oh Mylanta! Congratulations Ab! I didn't even know you were pregnant! How exciting! So...a June or July baby? Shucks, that's awesome.

jp said...

Looks like a super fun trip. So inspiring... maybe I'll take one week after next. And glad to finally see a little tummy. And, btw, there's no "WE" about it--YOU are preggo, not Luke, unless he's got something cooking we don't know about....

abichristi said...

well afterall he did have something to do with it...

The Platt's said...

"it was the trees!!" ~Micah. That was seriously one of the funnest missions i've had in a long time!!! My sweater still has some marks from the escapade!! ha ha

AliChristiansen said...

So i forgot you had a blog, but i just remembered and figured i needed to check this dealy out. Im so glad you guys got to come to KW to visit, i had so much fun! You guys are the best and I love you both so much!cant wait to see you again soon hopefully!

Kemp and Whitney said...

that's so awesome that you guys are having a baby! When will you find out what it is?

The Jayroes said...

i see a little tummy baby bump! haha :) finally!!!! what is a "key lime dipped in chocolate?" like a piece of pie? on a stick? dipped in chocolate? confusing concept. but sounds good. hope you move to SD!!!